Kidde KN-COSM-IBA 21006377 Hardwire Combination Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Voice Warning, Interconnectable
The KN-COSM-IBA combines a Carbon Monoxide and Ionization Smoke Alarm, providing two important safety devices in a single unit. This alarm includes a voice warning system that helps eliminate confusion, as it tells you if its detected fire or carbon monoxide, or even if it needs a new battery. This alarm has 2 AA battery backup, which protects you and your family — even during a power outage when many incidences occur. The alarm also allows you to easily silence nuisance alarms using its convenient Smart Hush feature.
This talking combo alarm is powered by your home’s electricity and can interconnect with other smoke alarms in your home. Experts recommend interconnected alarms, because when one sounds, they all sound, providing an early warning against fire by dramatically increasing your ability to hear an alarm anywhere in your home, regardless of where the fire starts.
Combination Smoke/CO Alarm for Improved Safety
The Kidde Combination Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Alarm includes a voice warning system that eliminates confusion and clearly warns you and your family of a smoke or carbon monoxide danger, or if your battery is in need of replacement or your alarm is in hush mode.
Fire: The red LED will flash and be accompanied by three long alarm beeps followed by a verbal warning message “Fire! Fire!” The alarm will repeat pattern until smoke is eliminated.
Carbon Monoxide: Four short alarm beeps followed by a verbal warning “Warning! Carbon Monoxide!” This continues until the unit is reset or CO is eliminated.
Low Battery: One chirp followed by warning “Low Battery” The red LED light will flash. This pattern will continue every minute for the first hour. After the first hour the red LED light will flash once every minute accompanied by the chirp sound. The low battery warning will only sound once every fifteen minutes.
Voice Hush Indication: “Hush Activated” and “Hush Cancelled” voice announcement.
Peak Level Memory: If the alarm had detected a CO level of 100ppm or higher when the Test/Reset button is pressed, the unit will announce “Carbon Monoxide Previously Detected” to warn of the CO incident.
Inter-connectable for Improved Safety
Fire and consumer experts recommend interconnected alarms for added protection. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), most Americans feel they are more at risk of being a victim of a tornado than of a house fire. Actually the opposite is true. Fires are more common than any other disaster that strikes a family at home, and can become deadly in minutes.
You have on average less than three minutes from the time you hear a smoke alarm to escape a fire. The sooner you hear an alarm, the sooner you can get out safely. Smoke alarms that link together so that when one goes off, they all go off, are called interconnected alarms. These alarms provide more warnings in more places, giving your family more time to escape a house fire. Houses built after 1993 are required by building codes to have interconnected alarms that are wired into their electrical system.
KN-COSM-IBA Hardwire Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm
At a Glance
- Talking alarm announces the hazard type detected, helping to speed up reaction time
- Employs both smoke and carbon monoxide sensors
- Inter-connectable to provide improved protection
- Features a hush button to silence the alarm for non-emergency situations like a smoky dinner
- Battery safeguard ensures the unit cannot be accidentally mounted without batteries
Trademarked Hush Feature for Convenience
By pressing the Hush button, you can easily and safely silence nuisance alarms caused by non-emergency situations, such as overcooked dinners.
This feature desensitizes the alarm for approximately ten minutes. If the smoke is not too dense, the alarm will silence immediately, the unit will verbally announce “Hush Mode Activated,” and the green LED will flash every 2 seconds for approximately 10 minutes.
Reliable AA Battery Backup, Indicator LED, Test Feature, Low Battery and End-of-Life Warning
The alarm’s AA battery backup provides continuous protection, even during power outages. Because this alarm only helps protect you if it’s working, this unit features a red LED that flashes every 30 to 40 seconds to indicate that it is operating correctly. For additional peace of mind, the alarm also contains a test/reset button that enables you to periodically test its circuitry and horn.
If any form of battery failure is detected the red LED light will flash and the unit will “chirp” one time, followed by the warning message “Low Battery.” This cycle will occur once every minute, and will continue for at least seven days.
Ten years after initial power up, this unit will “chirp”every 30 seconds. This is an “operational end of life” feature which will indicate that it is time to replace the alarm. UL 2034, the independent standard applicable to CO alarms, requires CO alarms to have an end of life warning. This requirement went into effect in March 2007, meaning any CO alarm manufactured after April 2007 with a UL listing must have this feature. Most states that require CO alarms in residential dwellings mandate that the alarm meet the UL 2034 standard.
The unit measures just 5.75 inches in diameter and 1.7 inches deep, and it features a neutral, white finish. It includes tamper resist features to deter vandalism or theft. This combination smoke/CO alarm is UL listed, so you can be confident of its quality, and it is backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
About Kidde: A UTC Fire & Security Brand
Renowned for global leadership in fire detection and suppression, Kidde provides solutions ranging from portable fire extinguishers to advanced industrial controls such as flame detection and explosion suppression systems. Kidde is a UTC Fire & Security brand, with a history that’s rich with innovations, from the patent of the Chubb Detector Lock in 1818 to the development of the world’s first wireless networked smoke detectors in 2004.
What’s in the Box
Combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm with mounting bracket and mounting hardware, quick-connect wiring harness, two AA batteries, a 10-year limited warranty and a bilingual (English/Spanish) user’s manual.
- Smart Interconnect-Interconnects up to 24 Kidde devices (of which 18 can be initiating), Battery Backup (2-AA batteries included)-Provides protection during power outages.Front Loading Battery Door-Replace the backup batteries without disconnecting from mounting bracket
- Battery Lockout System-The battery door will not close unless the batteries are properly installed, Alarm Tamper Resist-Helps deter from tampering and theft, Adjustable Mounting Bracket-Makes installation fast and easy. Works with existing smoke and combination smoke and CO mounting brackets.
- Peak Level Memory-Announces “CARBON MONOXIDE PREVIOUSLY DETECTED” if alarm has detected a CO level of 100ppm or higher since it was last reset, HushTM Feature-Silences nuisance alarms for approximately 9 minutes. (Smoke must be present before HushTM is activated)
- Ionization Sensor Technology-Ideal for detecting fast flaming and other types of fires, est Button Functions:- Tests the unit for proper operation – Peak Level memory – Resets the Carbon Monoxide alarm
- Green LED-Illuminates to indicate the unit is receiving AC power. Flashes once every 60 seconds to indicate battery only mode. Flashes once per second during alarm to indicate initiating alarm. Flashes once every 16 seconds to indicate smoke or CO previously detected. Flashes every 2 seconds while the alarm is in HUSHTM mode
- Red LED-When a dangerous level of smoke or carbon monoxide is detected the red LED will flash. If the unit malfunctions, the red LED will flash and the unit will chirp every 30 seconds